2019 AMGEN TOUR OF CALIFORNIA JERSEYS REVEALED
Published on Jan 16, 2019
ASSOS EXTENDS MULTI-YEAR DESIGNATION AS OFFICIAL RACE JERSEY PARTNER AND EXCLUSIVE TECH APPAREL PROVIDER
LOS ANGELES (Jan. 17, 2019) – Amgen Tour of California organizer and operator AEG announced the technically-innovative cycling apparel brand ASSOS of Switzerland has renewed a multi-year partnership to provide official race jerseys, VIP and staff apparel, and licensed merchandise for America’s premier cycling stage race.
Newly designed 2019 leader jerseys as well as 2019 Limited Edition and Extra Limited Edition commemorative race jerseys are now available for preorder at www.amgentourofcaliforniastore.com. Some of today’s best known and most decorated international cyclists have been awarded coveted leader jerseys on the roads of California, a time-honored tradition in cycling that signifies the best performers in various categories.
The annual Amgen Tour of California is the only U.S. cycling stage race on the UCI WorldTour calendar (men’s and women’s). The 14th edition will traverse 750 miles of roadways, highways and coastlines from Sacramento to Pasadena from May 12-18, 2019. The Amgen Tour of California Women's Race empowered with SRAM, showcasing the world’s best women cyclists, will run concurrently covering upward of 180 miles from May 16-18. In addition to the e-store, a selection of jerseys, race apparel and merchandise will be available during the race at the Amgen Tour of California Lifestyle Festival near the finish line each day.
“Heading into year three of our Amgen Tour of California sponsorship, we are excited to build upon our momentum and continue to support such a great event,” said Chris MacKay, Global Brand and Digital Marketing Director for ASSOS. “It’s an honor to have ASSOS worn by the daily leaders and the race staff, and we look forward to being on the ground for another year."
The Amgen Tour of California leader jerseys each represent a specific skill or achievement and are presented to leading riders on-stage at the conclusion of each day’s women’s and men’s events during a special awards ceremony near the stage finish line:
• Amgen Race Leader Jersey: The prized “yellow jersey” will go to the rider with the lowest cumulative time over the entire race (each day) at the end of each stage. Traditionally yellow, this jersey often changes hands from stage to stage as each day's results are added into the equation. It is possible for a rider to wear this highly contested jersey without winning a stage since it recognizes overall race times, not stage finish results.
• Breakaway from Cancer® / Breakaway from Heart DiseaseTM Most Courageous Rider Jersey: This meaningful jersey will be awarded daily to the man / woman respectively who best exemplifies the character of those engaged in the fight against cancer / heart disease – courage, sacrifice, inspiration, determination and perseverance.
• Lexus King of the Mountain (KOM)/Queen of the Mountain (QOM) Jersey: This jersey recognizes the peloton's strongest climber each day – the rider who collects the most points at designated KOM/QOM locations on mountains and hills. Only the first three cyclists to reach the top on rated climbs receive points.
• Visit California Sprint Jersey: Cyclists who specialize in bursts of power and speed, or consistently finish near the top of each stage, have the best chance to wear the respected ”green jersey.” Riders can accumulate points at designated Sprint Lines throughout the course, as well as for finishing the stage in the top ten. Visit California has been a jersey partner since the race's inception in 2006.
• TAG Heuer Best Young Rider Jersey: This coveted jersey will be awarded daily to the rider born on or after Jan. 1, 1997 with the least amount of elapsed time over the entire race to that point. Past winners of this jersey have gone on to become stars of the sport.
This year’s Amgen Tour of California will highlight the distinct beauty of Northern, Central and Southern California. Host City information and a highlight video are available at www.amgentourofcalifornia.com or https://youtu.be/9EumaLheLe8 (downloadable HD press version at www.amgentourofcalifornia.com/media-resources).
In addition to lining the race course, fans of all ages will once again have the opportunity to experience the race as a VIP from an all-inclusive hospitality tent or through once-in-a-lifetime opportunities. To learn more visit: https://www.amgentourofcalifornia.com/vip-experiences. VIP Hospitality Passes for stage starts and finishes are available at: https://www.axs.com/amgen2019. For questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Amgen Tour of California
The Amgen Tour of California and the Amgen Women's Race empowered with SRAM are Tour de France-style cycling road races created and presented by AEG. Running concurrently, the races challenge the world's top professional cycling teams to compete along demanding courses that traverse hundreds of miles of California's iconic highways, byways and coastlines each spring. The teams chosen to participate have included Olympic medalists, Tour de France contenders and World Champions, and award important, world-ranking points to the top finishers. For more information visit the Amgen Tour of California on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube or www.amgentourofcalifornia.com.
Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential of biology for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering innovative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology.
Amgen focuses on areas of high unmet medical need and leverages its biologics manufacturing expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes and dramatically improve people's lives. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be the world's largest independent biotechnology company, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential.
Headquartered in Los Angeles, California, AEG is the world’s leading sports and live entertainment company. With offices on five continents, AEG operates in the following business segments: AEG Facilities, which is affiliated with or owns, manages or consults with more than 120 preeminent arenas, stadiums, theaters, clubs and convention centers around the world including STAPLES Center, The O2 Arena, the Sprint Center and the Mercedes-Benz Arenas; AEG Live, which is dedicated to all aspects of live contemporary music performances, including producing and promoting global and regional concert tours, music and special events and world-renowned festivals; AEG Real Estate, which develops world-class venues, as well as major sports and entertainment districts like STAPLES Center and L.A. LIVE; AEG Sports, which is the world’s largest operator of sports franchises and high-profile sporting events; and AEG Global Partnerships, which oversees worldwide sales and servicing of sponsorships including naming rights, premium seating and other strategic partnerships. Through its worldwide network of venues, portfolio of powerful sports and music brands, AXS.com ticketing platform, AXS cable television channel and its integrated entertainment districts, AEG entertains more than 100 million guests annually. More information about AEG can be found at www.aegworldwide.com.
Michael Roth, AEG
Josh Levitt, Canvas Blue